LinuxSnap for Thu. 9/5/13 & Fri. 9/6/13
Latest Distro Releases
Various Ubuntu Derivatives
Many Ubuntu derivatives such as Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu GNOME, Ubuntu Studio, and Xubuntu saw their first beta release on Friday. Here’s some details on each one:
Full information regarding Kubuntu 13.10 Beta 1 can be found in the Ubuntu Wiki here.
Full information regarding Lubuntu 13.10 Beta 1 can be found in the Ubuntu Wiki here.
Full information regarding Ubuntu GNOME 13.10 Beta 1 can be found in the Ubuntu Wiki here.
* A new menu structure which works on any desktop environment. Len Ovens and Mish did a great job on moviing various apps to the right submenu and creating new menu icons.
* A new package named ubuntustudio-installer, which allows any person to install our metapackages and can fit into any desktop environment.
* Instead of a settings menu, we have fitted in a new Settings Manager, with all settings in one place.
* When you are in the GRUB Menu, the boot item for Ubuntu Studio will show “Ubuntu Studio” instead of “Ubuntu”. Also, the latest -lowlatency kernel will be always the default boot item in the GRUB boot loader.
* The XFCE session in the LightDM is removed to avoid any confusion with the Ubuntu Studio session.
Full information regarding Ubuntu Studio 13.10 Beta 1 can be found in the Ubuntu Wiki here.
The official release announcement for Ubuntu Studio 13.10 Beta 1 showcases some of the new features:
- New version of xfce4-settings with a new dialog to set up your monitors
- Improved themes with Gtk3.8 support and bugfixes
- A new tool to change your theme colors, gtk-theme-config (not installed by default, yet)
- Updated version of Gnumeric
Full information regarding Xubuntu 13.10 Beta 1 can be found in the Ubuntu Wiki here.
Welcome to LinuxSnap.com! LinuxSnap aims to become the best source for brief and informative Linux news. Each day you’ll find information including the latest Linux headlines, distro releases, apps, and more.